Why Myofunctional Therapy?
Struggling with TMJD, sleep apnea, tooth clenching or tooth grinding or other uncomfortable dental condition? You may be a candidate for myofunctional therapy at Millennium Smiles. During myofunctional therapy, we work to retrain the tongue and other muscles that may be impacting your teeth, jaws and the health of your mouth.
Why Choose Myofunctional Therapy?
- It’s noninvasive. Myofunctional therapy requires exercises and appliances – no surgery!
- Appliances are removable versus fixed appliances used for orthodontic treatment.
- It can be combined with other treatments for better results.
- It is not just cosmetic treatment; it improves how your whole mouth functions for chewing, biting, speaking and swallowing.
- It helps you breathe through your nose, which helps eliminate the negative consequences of mouth breathing.
- Speaking of mouth breathing, myofunctional therapy can cure sleep apnea in some cases. How? Myofunctional therapy can retrain your tongue, face, and throat muscles to relax in a way that does not blog your airway.
- Anyone can do it. While myofunctional therapy works best when patients are younger, it can still work for adults.
Who Does Myofunctional Therapy Help?
- Individuals living with TMJD
- Individuals who clench and grind their teeth
- Individuals undergoing orthodontic treatment
- Individuals experiencing orthodontic relapses, such as crowding, shifting, open bite, and crossbite
- Individuals who breathe through their mouth
- Individuals with tongue ties/tongue restriction and those who have had a frenectomy (tongue tie release surgery)
- Individuals with bad oral habits such as thumb sucking and nail-biting
- Individuals living with allergies
- Individuals living with sleep apnea and other sleep breathing disorders
- Individuals living with ADD/ADHD
Are you an individual with a condition we mentioned? Do you want to learn more about how myofunctional therapy from Millennium smiles can help you? Call us at 972-987-4899 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Korous today!