Account Name: Millennium Smiles - Frisco Account URL: https://millenniumsmiles.com/
Do you think you’re a pro at brushing your teeth? You probably have been doing it many years now, and really, is there a wrong way to do it? It turns out, there actually is. Improper brushing can lead to cavities, tooth decay, and gum disease. Find out how to make sure you take care of your teeth the right way with these teeth brushing tips from Millennium Smiles
1. Check Your Form. Are you holding your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle when you brush? This is the angle recommended by the American Dental Association to clean your teeth effectively. Why? Because brushing your teeth at a 45-degree angle allows the bristles of your toothbrush to reach all surfaces of your teeth. Brushing with your toothbrush at this angle is especially important when brushing your molars because the curves of these teeth make cleaning them properly critical. While we are talking about brushing, be sure not to put too much force on your teeth because you could wear away enamel.
2. Check Your Brush. While a manual toothbrush can get your teeth clean, its cleaning capabilities are nothing compared to those of a soft-bristled electric toothbrush. Using an electric toothbrush means a more efficient and thorough cleaning. Dr. Korous offers patients several different electric toothbrush options. Ask her what toothbrush she recommends for you when you are in for your next appointment.
3. Check Your Time. Did you know that it takes two full minutes of brushing to make sure all the surfaces of your teeth are clean? The ADA and Dr. Korous recommend that you brush two full minutes every time you brush to ensure you removing sticky dental plaque. Time yourself next time you brush to see if you’re brushing for a full two minutes.
4. Check Your Tongue. One of the most common mistakes people make when brushing their teeth is that they forget to brush their tongue. The tongue collects the same bacteria as the teeth and gums, so brushing is key to keeping your mouth healthy. It also keeps your breath fresh, too!
5. Take Time to Floss. Did you know that flossing does 40 percent of the work of your toothbrush? Flossing helps to remove food particles that get stuck between your teeth and can’t be removed by your brush. Getting these particles out of your teeth takes the food source away from the bacteria that cause tooth decay and gum disease.
Now that you know how if you’re brushing correctly, it’s time to schedule a cleaning with us! Call Millennium Smiles, your Frisco dental experts, today at 972-987-4899.